The female body resembles a complex mechanism, which in the presence of certain factors fails. The ability of a woman to realize her main purpose and become a mother is ensured by regular menstruation. Normally, the duration of menstruation is 3-7 days. If critical days last less or longer than the allotted time, then the woman’s body has malfunctioned. Long periods are the most common disorders of the menstrual cycle. This deviation can signal serious health problems and cannot be ignored. It is important to determine why the monthly go 2 weeks, and what deviations says this violation.
Monthly 2 weeks long indicate women's health problems.
Causes of long periods
In gynecological practice, prolonged menstruation is called menorrhagia. Menstruation, which lasts more than 14 days, is primarily dangerous for the female body by blood loss. With each “over-normalized” day of menstruation, dehydration occurs. There are several reasons for prolonged menses:
- The use of contraceptives is a factor that affects the nature of the menstrual cycle. Depending on the contraceptive used, the discharge during critical days may increase or decrease. If a helix is used as a contraceptive, the number of critical days increases. In this case, with good analyzes and the results of ultrasound examinations, each period that lasts 14 days can be considered the norm for a woman. Affect the menstrual cycle and oral contraceptives. In the case of their use, the abundance of discharge decreases, the monthly smear, but the number of critical days also increases.
- Hormonal disruption in a woman’s body can trigger an increase in menstruation. Long periods of two weeks are characteristic of the first menstruation, when the body of a teenage girl is in the active stage of growing up and cannot rationally use the amount of hormones secreted. Two weeks monthly can last in the postpartum period, after lactation, as well as in menopausal syndrome. Such changes are most often temporary, but it is recommended to consult a doctor. The menstrual cycle can be normalized independently, and you may need to use hormonal drugs.
- Functional failure in the endocrine system. In this case, we are talking about the thyroid gland, so when figuring out the cause of long periods, which last about 14 days, an examination is scheduled for an endocrinologist and an ultrasound scan of the thyroid. Problems in the female body very often begin due to the appearance of nodes on the thyroid gland, a change in the level of insulin, cholesterol. Do not postpone the visit to the doctor, because after the problems of gynecology, diseases of the mammary gland can also occur.
- Various gynecological diseases can provoke heavy discharge and prolonged periods. Among them may be malignant or benign lesions. If the discharge does not stop after 14 days, and their number does not decrease in any way, it is recommended that you consult a physician and be examined.
- Stress and various emotional upheavals can provoke failures in the menstrual cycle. Do not look for the reasons and justification for prolonged menstruation on their own. Consult a doctor. Only a qualified specialist can confirm or dispel your doubts. To find out the real cause of protracted critical days, you will need to undergo gynecological and ultrasound examinations, pass smears, as well as tests for the level of hormones in the body.
Thyroid ultrasound is usually prescribed for long periods
Long periods: how dangerous is it?
Critical days can last a long time for various reasons, and overweight is also not an exception. An abundant discharge can be only the first week, after which another week the monthly smear, as a result, it turns out that critical days last 14 days.
Menstruation, which go more than 14 days, and are accompanied by abundant secretions, are especially dangerous. Sometimes prolonged periods with a large amount of discharge are difficult to distinguish from bleeding, therefore an immediate hospital visit is required.
Prevention of long periods
Long-term periods are influenced by both external factors and internal ones. Drugs and hormones are used to normalize the cycle. Much depends on the woman herself. First you need to revise your lifestyle and in addition to medical treatment to comply with a number of tips.
Easy exercise normalizes the monthly cycle
A healthy lifestyle is the key to a stable cycle:
- Regularly follow the rules of hygiene, avoid hypothermia, so as not to provoke diseases of the genitourinary system. Even a small inflammation at an early stage can provoke long periods.
- During critical days, stop drinking and smoking. If you are invited to a party, you can safely replace a glass of wine with a glass of juice. Remember, the external factor in the form of alcohol significantly increases bleeding.
- Keep an active lifestyle. If you have a sedentary job, sign up for a gym, dance or fitness. Moderate exercise will provide the body with a normal metabolism and will be a good prevention of various disorders. But during critical days, it is better to refuse additional loads, especially at the beginning of menstruation.
- Watch your diet. In order for the female body to function as a Swiss watch, it must receive the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals. Do not use in the diet of fatty and high-calorie foods. Remember, obesity is the enemy for a stable cycle. Do not abuse and diets. Food restriction and fasting can provoke anemia, then every menstruation can be painful, the discharge will be with clots.
- During menstruation, refuse to visit the bath, sauna, solarium, do not take a hot bath, it is better to use a warm shower these days.
- Avoid stress, because emotional turmoil is a hidden cause that underlies women's health problems.
Preventive measures are not a panacea, and they will not help to cure serious diseases of the female organs. Protect their role from the occurrence of complications, because any disease is easier to prevent than to fight it. Remember, your health is in your hands.
Why increase the duration of menstruation?
When the monthly do not stop going more than a week, you should try to find the cause of the failure. It may not be so significant, and after a while everything is restored, but sometimes a woman cannot do without the help of a specialist. An abundant period is considered menstruation, in which you need to replace the gasket every three hours or more often. This indicates an extremely large blood loss.
Another cause for concern arises when menstruation takes two weeks or more, causing discomfort and pain, and the blood goes in whole clots. If this is observed during pregnancy, it is likely that the embryo develops outside the uterus or a miscarriage of the fetus is expected. As soon as symptoms are noticed, it is necessary to call an ambulance, lie down and try to move less. There are several reasons why critical days last longer than usual.
The spiral, as is well known, is widely recognized among women of all different ages who do not want to have children for at least several years. Installation of this device is done by a doctor without any difficulties. They do not ask for a lot of money for the service, and the spiral itself can be quite long.
But there is one important "but." The established spiral often leads to the fact that the monthly for 2 weeks does not end.
In the event that such a problem has overtaken a woman, she should get rid of the device in the medical center. Otherwise, the blood loss will be so large that they can cause illness.
It's all about the pills
Another contraceptive, pills from conception, are no less dangerous for the fair sex. Taking initiative here is very dangerous, because if you start taking pills that for one reason or another do not fit the body or take it incorrectly, this will lead to a sudden opening of bleeding, as well as disruption of the duration of menstruation, resulting in the latter can last up to two weeks and over.
Sometimes the blood starts to go even twice a month, and it is very difficult to stop it. It is all about hormones with which contraceptives are rich, they also force down the settled rhythm. The only advice for women who use such pills is to stop taking and immediately go to a health facility.
Hormonal background is not ok
One of the common causes of prolonged bleeding is hormone imbalance.
It occurs, as a rule, several times in life:
- for a couple years after the first menstruation went,
- after giving birth
- during menopause.
When a girl only becomes a girl, that is, she meets her first “red days,” her hormonal background undergoes significant disruptions. He is still preparing to be firmly established, and therefore he can “bounce”, as a result of which the bleeding during critical days goes longer than normal. After delivery, when the mother is breastfeeding the baby, a lot of the hormone prolactin is produced in her body, and therefore the duration of the month can also be increased. During menopause, it sometimes happens that they can never be completed due to pathological changes in the uterine lining.
What if ... a disease?
If the blood goes the second, and even the third week, but the above reasons are not found, there is a possibility of the development of the disease. Ailments can be very different and affect different internal organs of a woman. So, often in such cases, the thyroid gland suffers. It is responsible for the production of hormones and sometimes produces them more than required, or even less. An exact diagnosis will be established by an endocrinologist after the patient has passed the necessary tests. Thyroid should definitely be treated. If this is not done, it will be difficult for the woman to get pregnant, and if the conception has already arrived, the risk of miscarriage may appear.
Blood disorders can also be the reason that menstrual days do not stop in time. The reason for this may be, for example, a decrease in the rate of platelet production. Platelets are cells that, in particular, perform the function of stopping bleeding. If there are few of them, a coagulation disorder occurs.
A disease such as adenomyosis can lead to prolonged bleeding. Its essence lies in the inflammation that originates in the muscles of the uterus. This is due to the spread of mucous membrane (endometrium) in the muscle layer. Due to the development of the disease, the blood can not stop for more than a week.
When a woman has hyperplasia, the cells begin to divide at an increased rate, and the tissues grow in new formations. So may appear polyps. A large number of these growths can lead to the fact that even after a week the periods will not be completed. A patient is examined for polyps in a hospital where the uterus is examined with an optical device.
The source of long-term discharge of blood can be uterine fibroids. This diagnosis indicates a benign tumor that forms inside the uterus. It occurs very often and can occur even in birthless. This formation is dangerous because it can provoke a new bleeding when the monthly ones have just ended.
The most serious cause of prolonged critical days may be a malignant tumor of the uterus. The rest of her symptoms appear later, but the bleeding is the first, so you need to pay great attention to the problem and do not let everything take its course, but immediately check with the doctor to rule out cancer.
What to do if the bleeding during menstruation does not stop within the prescribed time frame?
If it has already happened that a week has passed, or even the second, and the monthly ones do not even think about stopping, you should not fall into a panic, as well as trying to get to the cause on your own and start home treatment on your own. All this is fraught with serious consequences in the form of complications. The main thing is to calm down, tune in to the best and immediately inform the doctor about what is happening.
Reviews of friends, numerous comments and tips on online forums that tell how to stop the blood, can not only be useless, but also harm the body of a woman.
Only a specialist with medical education will help to find the source of bleeding and stop the discharge, and then prescribe, if necessary, competent and effective treatment.
Medications such as Vikasol, Ditsinon, can relieve raging blood, but even they should be taken only after the approval of the doctor, and before that you must pass an ultrasound examination.