The stable menstrual cycle is the main indicator of a woman’s physical and mental health. Even deviations that are not related to reproductive function can affect the course of the cycle. The situation, when there is a sudden reduction of menstruation, they used to go for six days, and then began to go three, causes concern and anxiety.
The regularity of the cycle depends on the woman's health.
What is the normal menstrual cycle
The establishment of regular menstruation occurs almost within a year after the first bleeding. The concept of "normal cycle" has a wide framework and its own characteristics for each woman. The full cycle of development, maturation and release of the egg lasts 21–35 days, after which, in the absence of fertilization, the process of rejection of the endometrial mucosa begins and bleeding occurs. This period also has a considerable variation, 3–7 days. The systematic nature of menstruation is established at puberty and changes only during pregnancy or pathological deviations. At different stages of the cycle, different hormones prevail, their balance in the body is supported by the female endocrine system. Thus, failure in the monthly cycle can be a consequence of minor deviations in lifestyle, and evidence of serious violations.
Normal cycle times are very individual.
Causes of change, not due to pathological processes
The shortening of menstruation is always accompanied by a decrease in blood loss, and this is far from a favorable fact. Often a woman feels nagging pains, nausea, fatigue, nosebleeds are frequent. The situation when menstruation went from three to six days from the very beginning, then there was a sharp reduction, can be caused by many reasons not related to the pathology of the female genital:
- The postpartum period, bringing the hormonal system to its former state requires some time and usually stretches over several months.
- Artificial termination of pregnancy is a huge shock for the female reproductive system. Any invasion of the sexual sphere (abortion, surgery) violates the hormonal balance. When answering the question of why menstruation goes much less, three days instead of the previous six, it is important to pay attention to the nature of the discharge and overall well-being. Dark-colored clots with an unpleasant odor, fever and weakness indicate a poorly performed operation that caused the inflammatory process.
- Acceptance of hormonal contraceptive drugs that do not match the natural cycle of women. In general, long-term use of contraceptives can churn the rhythm of menstruation.
- Oddly enough, but nutrition and excess weight can also affect the duration of “critical days”, which in obesity can go as 1-2 days in the form of a heavy discharge, and may be marked by hypermenorrhea. Hard diets and drastic weight loss adversely affect the course of the cycle, menstruation, which went, the prescribed amount of time, is gradually reduced and can stop altogether.
- Sedentary lifestyle, lack of blood circulation in the genitals, respectively, lack of oxygen and nutrients, lead to a reduction in menstruation.
- Stress or prolonged nervous strain affects the regulation of menstrual function.
- Another factor affecting the duration of a cycle is thyroid dysfunction. Communication seems to be absent, but women suffering from reduced production of thyroid hormones, there is a shortening of the cycle and the duration of menstruation.
The situations described, with timely treatment for medical care, do not have irreversible consequences. Adjustment and medical control are needed to ensure that the monthly return to normal, and the balance of hormones to find balance.
Hormonal contraceptives have the ability to change the monthly cycle
When to worry
Causes due to pathological changes and processes in the sexual sphere of women:
- A sudden reduction in menses, which lasted at least three days, is cause for concern. In this way, inflammatory diseases of the urogenital area can manifest. In case of an infectious nature, other signs may appear: nagging pains in the lower abdomen, burning sensation, severe itching of the genital organs, unusual for the discharge rate, fever may occur. Chronic sluggish inflammation of the adnexal organs leads to the occurrence of adhesions, both in the abdominal cavity and in the lumen of the tubes. This can lead to the fact that the menstrual cycle is reduced, and the periods themselves go less than three days.
- Benign neoplasms. More often, shortening the cycle and shortening the number of days of menstruation is caused by the occurrence of an ovarian cyst. Follicular cysts - formations that occur in women of reproductive age, they rarely have pronounced symptoms and never degenerate. Endometriosis and fibromyomas, which are also frequently detected, cause menstruation often and abundantly, accompanied by the release of dark-colored clots. Along the way, there is a decrease in blood pressure and anemia of the first degree.
- Hormonal imbalance and reduction of “critical days” is not a deviation from the norm during the period of menstruation and when menopause approaches. In adolescence, there may be some inconsistencies in the regimen, menstruation, which last three days in the previous month, in the present only two can pass, and later - five. Such "swing" is quite natural for puberty.
The climacteric period is characterized by a gradual extinction of the reproductive function, a decrease in the production of hormones. Monthly go less often, often limited to strokes. Such physiological changes occur after about 45–50 years and should not be intimidating, since they are regularities.
Follicular cysts have the ability to change the monthly cycle. On the left in the picture is a normal ovary, on the right - with a follicular cyst
How to behave further
If earlier the menstruation was normal and lasted 5–6 days, and then suddenly decreased to 2–3 days, it is imperative that you seek medical advice. It is important to establish the cause of the abnormalities in time and prescribe the correct treatment. To do this, the patient is surveyed, a comprehensive gynecological examination, methods of instrumental examination.
Treatment is prescribed depending on the detected cause:
- When hormonal imbalance is carried out the selection of the appropriate hormone therapy, vitamin therapy.
- When detecting benign tumors, conservative treatment is carried out, and if there is no effect, surgical treatment is performed. According to the indications, laparoscopy or abdominal surgery is used.
- Infectious diseases are treated under the supervision of a gynecologist using drugs of general and local action.
- With endocrine abnormalities, treatment is carried out by an endocrinologist, replacement therapy and control of the thyroid gland is prescribed. An important role is played by the normalization of nutrition, the intake of a balanced amount of vitamins and trace elements.
- Auxiliary methods are physiotherapy, acupuncture, water aerobics, massage, gymnastics.
An episodic reduction in the number of menstrual days to three, in the absence of other unpleasant symptoms, is not a pathology and may be the result of a poor lifestyle.
If the shortening of the menstrual period occurs gradually up to 1-2 days, this is the reason to seek medical advice. A sharp decrease in menstrual days to two should cause anxiety and an immediate visit to the hospital.
Why are monthly periods so short
In girls, the first periods appear, usually at the age of 12-15 years. In this period, hormonal changes due to the process of maturation of the ovaries begin. This explains why menstruation began and immediately disappeared for several months. This phenomenon is not uncommon.
The establishment of the cycle takes up to two years. Both the interval between menstruations and their volume can change. Scanty and abundant discharge during this period does not cause concern.
The duration of the monthly to the final installation of the cycle may be different, constantly fluctuating, but gradually returns to normal. Therefore, it is very important to correctly consider the duration of the cycle.
In the case of any abnormalities do not panic. With such changes as long, short periods, the reasons may be different. Exhaustion, a strict diet, physical or emotional stress, and even a change of environment can affect the duration of the menstrual phase. As soon as the factor causing the failure is eliminated, the cycle will be restored.
If menstruation goes 3 days from the very beginning and during menstruation there is no strong pain and other unpleasant symptoms, then this can be considered a normal condition.
With regular violations and pronounced pain syndrome, medical consultation is needed. It is possible that the monthly three days are due to the development of pathologies of the urogenital system. It is imperative to consult a doctor if your period is 1-2 days and ends.
Causes of a shortened menstrual cycle
Responsible for the formation of the cycle of menstruation are the pituitary and ovaries. In situations where, instead of 5 days, menstruation went 3 days, functional impairment is not excluded. Physiological abnormalities are observed with repeated abortive measures and scraping. Similar violations of the cycle are observed in women who have had tuberculosis. At the same time, such changes are possible when, instead of the usual 5 days, the monthly periods were reduced to 3 days.
The reasons why menstruation began to go only three days and ended earlier than usual, can be a violation of blood circulation in the uterus and an insufficient level of hormones.
The course of menstruation and their duration are affected by the following factors:
- dramatic weight loss
- avitaminosis or anemia,
- genital diseases,
- metabolic disorder,
- mental illness
- emotional overstrain
- surgical intervention in the organs of the genitourinary system,
- endocrine system pathologies,
- hormonal drugs,
- damage to the pelvic organs,
- lactation period
- intoxication of the body,
- infectious diseases.
Reducing the duration of menstruation to three days does not always signal serious problems in the body, but sometimes indicates the development of a number of pathologies. Therefore, such changes are not ignored. Only after a comprehensive survey will be able to identify the cause of short periods and restore the previous cycle. Self-treatment in this case is unacceptable. An adequate course of therapy can only appoint a gynecologist.