For women, thrush is not unusual and almost everyone suffered from this disease. Much less, but still predisposed to candidiasis, little girls and girls. In adolescents, the treatment of the disease and its course may differ.
What is thrush in adolescent girls? A disease that has a fungal character and develops as a result of a yeast-like infection in the body. Such representatives of the genus as Candida Albicans, Tropicalis can cause illness.
The first of these is the most popular causative agent of candidiasis. It is worth noting that this microorganism is present in the body of each person, but it vigorously reproduces only for certain reasons. An increase in the number of colonies is often influenced by environmental factors or other infections, as well as by a decrease in immunity.
The place of residence for mushrooms is not only the mucosa of the internal genital organs, but also the mouth, the intestines. These fungi support normal microflora, in this regard, there are special standards for the maintenance of microorganisms on the mucosa. If the level is exceeded and signs of thrush appear, the teenage girl is diagnosed with candidiasis.
Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection, it occurs because of a decrease in local immunity. Because of this, the symptoms of thrush occur in both girls and women, and in little girls.
One of the ways of infection is the time of labor. If the woman did not get rid of the signs of thrush before giving birth, then the fungus goes to the baby. As a rule, in newborns Candida affects the oral cavity, genitals suffer less frequently. But in any case, the fungus remains in the body and can recur at an older age.
You can become infected through personal care products, for example, using one towel and washcloth. Because of this, a child from an early age should be taught to use only their own personal hygiene products. To do this, you can create a separate shelf and soap box.
Although candida are opportunistic pathogens, not STIs, they can also be transmitted during sex without a condom. But such sexual intercourse does not guarantee that the girl will develop candidiasis, since the further reproduction of the fungus will directly depend on the patient's immune system.
A sharp increase in the number of colonies in the body of a fungus in a teenager can be caused by a variety of factors. First of all, the level of immunity, especially local, affects the development of candidiasis in girls. If a girl is often sick, takes antibiotics, then this leads to a violation of the microflora of the vagina.
Normally, useful lactic acid bacteria live on the vaginal mucosa, which inhibit the growth of harmful microbes and create an acidic environment. If the lactobacilli become smaller, conditionally pathogenic micro-orgasms, such as Candida, begin to multiply uncontrollably.
The following negative factors can provoke such deviations:
- recurring infectious diseases
- chronic diseases of the ear, nose and throat (for example, sinusitis),
- circulatory disorders in the pelvis,
- abnormalities in the endocrine system,
- decrease in the number of leukocytes,
- violation of the composition and ratio of certain microorganisms in the intestine,
- lack of macro and micronutrients.
Can there be a thrush in a teenager if there are no such diseases? In addition to such pathologies, the development of candidiasis can provoke the use of pharmacological agents. These include:
- cytostatic drugs
- hormonal pills.
The following household factors can affect the health of a teenage girl:
- The use of underwear made of synthetic material, which absorbs moisture, which is why humidity increases in the vagina. Such an environment is ideal for the development of a fungal disease.
- Insufficient hygiene of the external genital organs.
- Use of products that are not suitable for child hygiene.
- Excessive consumption of sweets.
The cause of thrush in adolescents may be hormonal changes characteristic of puberty. If the body lacks female steroid sex hormones, then the level of beneficial bacteria in the vagina is reduced, and, accordingly, local immunity suffers.
The thrush in girls of 11 years proceeds with inflammation of the vulva and vaginal mucosa. The symptoms of the disease for children and adults are no different. Signs of thrush in adolescent girls:
- sensation of painful tickling irritation of the skin in the region of the external genital organs,
- mucosal swelling,
- redness on the surface of the labia minora,
- white cheesy discharge
- white plaque formation
- pain and burning during urination.
The first manifestations of the disease include a burning sensation in the area of the external genital organs, which may increase with running or normal walking. Such a symptom can affect sleep in advanced cases.
For such a patient is characterized by the presence of edema, the overflow of blood vessels in the mucous membrane and small genital lips with a touch (it is easily removed). There may be blood when cleansing from cheesy discharge.
From the very beginning, the symptoms of candidiasis can be invisible, but they quickly manifest themselves and spread over the surface of the vulva and vagina. The girl has a crust on the genital lips, which can spread to the hips. In babies, rashes are similar to very advanced diaper dermatitis.
For chronic thrush characterized by less pronounced severity of symptoms. From the delicate pink mucous membranes turn into brown, and labia lose their elasticity and shrink. All of the above symptoms may be accompanied by intestinal candidiasis, fungal tonsillitis.
To determine the presence of thrush in adolescent girls, it is necessary to examine the external genital organs. During the first stage, the doctor’s task is to detect symptoms similar to candidiasis. To confirm the diagnosis or differentiation of the disease, a smear from the vagina is used for odds.
Treatment of thrush in girls is not difficult, if you strictly adhere to the recommendations of the doctor and do not self-medicate. A suitable technique for this or that type of organism is the key to success and the absence of complications. Therapy depends on the reason for which the disease appeared. Sometimes there is enough exclusion from the diet of certain products.
To get rid of candidiasis use antifungal agents and antiseptics, as well as special ointments. To eliminate the signs of the disease can use herbal teas and bath with aromatic oils. Such therapy leaves no consequences and helps quickly get rid of the symptoms of candidal vaginitis.
If the area and extent of the lesion is too large, then treatment of thrush in adolescent girls is carried out using drugs such as Nizoral, Fluconazole, Clotrimazole. The drug and dosage should appoint a treating graft.
If you immediately go to a doctor with a thrush in a 10-year-old girl, you can avoid unpleasant consequences. For example:
- development of candidal lesions in other organs,
- adhesions in the pelvis,
- acute blockage (embolism) of a blood vessel with a blood clot,
- menstruation disorders
- bowel abnormalities.
In order not to treat thrush in girls 12 years and older, it is best to follow simple steps to prevent it. For this you need:
- take care of external genital hygiene,
- do not use synthetic underwear
- Do not take antibiotics without probiotics,
- eat right and avoid vitamin deficiency,
- give up bad habits (if any)
- do not rush to have sex.
Ways of penetration
The disease is not venereal, so sex is not the only way to get the disease. Thrush in girls is not uncommon. Usually children get the disease during childbirth from their mother. Through the birth canal, the child is able to pick up the fungus if the mother did not take care of the treatment in advance.
Dispute multiplication contributes to:
- Non-compliance with individual hygiene.
- Acute allergic reactions.
- Infectious diseases, cold.
The disease is transmitted through household objects. From an early age, little girls should use individual towels, wear their own underwear, and have a separate soap. Hormonal surges in a young body can cause the manifestation of the disease. They have a powerful influence on the state of the vaginal microflora. Due to the weakening of local immunity symptoms of candidiasis appear. Early sexual intercourse is another possible way. Unprotected permanent sex leads to the appearance of many infections.
The task of parents to conduct the necessary conversations to prevent teenage unprotected sex.
Various external and internal factors can cause increased fungal spread in the girl's body. Doctors identify the following reasons:
- Periodic illness, cold.
- Chronic health problems.
- Unbalanced nutrition: excessive consumption of sweet, flour.
- Anemia and circulatory dysfunction.
- Non-compliance with individual hygiene.
- Synthetic underwear.
- Taking systemic drugs and antibiotics.
- The use of aggressive detergents, pads, colored toilet paper.
Potent drugs affect the human immune system, lowering the protective functions of the body. The children's body is unable to resist the fungal spores that settle on the mucous membrane. Antibiotics cause an imbalance of flora, destroying lactic acid bacteria that perform a protective function.
Linen from natural materials perfectly absorbs moisture. Synthetics do not cope well with this task, creating ideal conditions for the fungus. You should also use gentle gels and care products for the intimate area.
The symptoms of thrush in a teenage girl are manifested in the same form as in adult women. The first signs of the disease is a signal about the need to urgently seek advice for the prompt elimination of the problem. Experts identify the following symptoms:
- Strong burning sensation in the region of the external genital organs, burning during urination.
- Intolerable itching.
- Marked redness of the genitals.
- Mucous discharge white.
- Curd white plaque on the external genitalia.
- Unpleasant smell.
The girl may notice the first symptoms while walking. There are discomfort between the legs: itching and burning. As a result, urination becomes a painful process, and adolescents experience sleep disorders. On examination, there should be a white cheesy bloom on the inflamed genitalia. The plaque is easily removed from the skin, but under it can be red spots or blood. The fungus infects the skin cells and causes the appearance of small sores, which can bleed when in contact.
If you ignore such a problem, the disease can progress. A colony of fungi is able to penetrate the human blood system, settle on the mucous membrane, and also cause dysfunction of important organs. The chronic form of candidiasis develops and its symptoms change. The mucous membrane of the genitals and discharge may be brown in color, the large and small lips change their shape.
How to treat? Treatment of thrush in girls consists in taking medication of a local or systemic nature. However, it should be remembered that taking their own drugs is not strictly recommended. Only a doctor has the right to prescribe treatment based on laboratory tests of candidiasis. This allows you to determine the degree of development of the disease, the form and the right medication. As a rule, for girls it is recommended to use topical preparations: ointments, creams. Special candles can be led by specially trained staff.
In the case of the chronic type, microflora recovery is achieved through the use of a combined approach. Oral and local funds are actively used to eliminate the colonies of the fungus. It is easy to treat thrush if you follow all the recommendations of a professional. Taking medication should be reasonable and helpful!
Causes of thrush in adolescent girls
Candida fungi exist in the body of each person, regardless of his age, and under favorable conditions, they can begin to multiply, causing candidiasis.
The most frequent factor leading to the activation and growth of these microorganisms in adolescents is a sharp decrease in the body's natural resistance and weakening of the immune system, which keeps them under control. Often this can be a state of hypovitaminosis or immunodeficiency., which leads to a change in the balance of the vaginal flora.
Most often, the disease of thrush in girls occurs in the presence of any disease.:
- Chronic diseases of upper respiratory tract.
- The presence of systemic infections.
- Circulatory disorders.
- Pathologies of the endocrine system.
- Intestinal dysbacteriosis.
- The lack of vitamins and macro-as well as trace elements.
If there are no such diseases, then the most particular ones. The causes of thrush in adolescents are taking certain medications.: Corticosteroids, Antibiotics, Contraceptives, Cytostatics.
Some household factors can lead to the appearance of candidiasis in virgins:
- Violation or non-compliance with the rules of personalincluding intimate hygiene.
- Soap application and other sufficiently aggressive means for daily washing.
- Wearing too tight underwear or products from synthetic fabrics.
- Continuous use of panty liners, especially with unnatural upper layer.
Symptoms of candidiasis in girls
In adolescents, thrush is most often expressed as vulvovaginitis, localized in the area of the vulva, labia, vestibule, and vaginal mucous membranes.
The common symptoms of thrush in adolescents are almost the same as in adults. These include:
- The occurrence of severe itching, pronounced sensation of burning in the area of the genitals and perineum.
- The presence of redness in the same area.
- Swelling and swelling of the mucous membranes.
- The appearance of unpleasant discharge cheesy structure and whitish plaque on the surface of the genitals.
- Pains during urination.
The very first symptom appears itching, which girls rarely pay attention to, considering it simply a need to once again wash away or an allergic reaction to the means used for intimate hygiene.
If the disease goes into the advanced stage, itching can significantly increase when walking or playing sports, as well as in the hot season. Due to intense itching at night, girls are disturbed sleep.
When candidiasis in the girl goes into a chronic form, the symptoms become smoother., but intensified before the onset of each menstruation. At the same time, the appearance of the genitals may also change, the mucous membranes of which acquire a brown color, and the labia shrink.
A whole range of diagnostic measures can be used to detect the disease, in particular:
- Conducting ultrasound.
- External examination of the genital organs by a gynecologist.
- Research analyzes in the laboratory.
If the external examination of the girl reveals fungal lesions of the mucous membranes or skin, a full laboratory examination of smears and blood is carried out.
The results will be important.:
- Blood test for PCR.
- Microscopic examination.
- Immunological research.
- Sowing on the environment for growing colonies of fungi and determine their type, as well as sensitivity to specific substances.
For many, candidiasis seems to be quite a simple disease, but it should be treated properly, referring to the doctor and following all his recommendations.
It is important to remember that improper treatment can lead to serious complications and further problems, for example, at conception and childbirth. Therefore, it is important that the treatment is correct and adequate.
Treatment with drugs may be different. In most cases, it is carried out topically, using ointments, creams and suppositories., which include clotrimazole, natamycin or levorin.
With the help of ointments can be applied to the affected places. The advantage of this treatment is the lack of a systemic effect and many side effects, as well as the rapid elimination of the main symptoms.
In case of severe neglect of thrush in a girl, or frequent recurrences, the doctor may prescribe systemic drugs against the fungus, in particular:
- Amphoglucaminetaken by adolescents in 200 thousand units twice a day for 3 - 4 days.
- Diflucan, the dose of which will be calculated based on the weight of the girl. At 1 kg of body mass is assigned from 3 to 8 mg.
- Nizoral tablets, also based on body weight, ½ or a whole tablet 1 or 2 times a day.
Personal hygiene rules for candidiasis
When thrush occurs, it is very important to monitor your hygiene more closely, especially with regard to intimate places.
It is necessary to wash at least 2 times a day., but with the appearance of thrush the number of procedures increases. Use for the procedure should be only mild gentle gel or creamy substances that do not contain dyes, perfumes, having a neutral pH. You can not use regular toilet soap, as well as other means that have an aggressive effect.
Do not constantly use the daily and wear close synthetic underwear, as well as thongs. Choosing gaskets, you should give preference to natural materials.
Traditional methods of treatment
In most cases, traditional medicine is used in the treatment of thrush in adolescents as an auxiliary method of therapy to speed up the process. More information about the popular methods of treating thrush can be found here.
The most effective means of traditional medicine in the treatment of candidiasis in adolescent girls can be called:
- Soda solutionwhich should treat the affected genitals several times a day.
- Decoction of chamomile or oak barkused for daily washouts.
- For oral administration with thrush in a teenager girl, you can prepare a remedy from dried leaves of black currant (10 tablespoons per 300 ml of boiling water, leave for about 10 minutes). Chop 10 cloves of garlic and add to the infusion, boil for about 3 minutes and allow to cool to a barely warm state. Add fresh juice of one lemon, then strain and take 3 - 4 times a day for a full tablespoon.
- Excellent results and shows eating carrot juice, but here it is important not to exceed the dose. Children from one year to six years old can be given no more than 2 - 3 tablespoons per day. At the age of over 6 years, the dose is increased to 30 ml per day. Adolescents should not take more than 60 ml, and for adults the maximum dose is from 90 to 100 ml per day. If you exceed the dose daily, hypervitaminosis may develop.
Thrush in girls under 10
Some babies get thrush "inherited" from a sick mother even at the time of birth. But it is not uncommon when a healthy child suddenly has this unpleasant disease, and there are many reasons for this.
It is important for parents to remember that each age of the child has its own nuances of care and hygiene, which primarily concerns girls. It is important to show at this moment a great deal of attention and create conditions for the child for a healthy life, including the preservation of the health of the reproductive system.
The future ability of the girl to normal childbirth is of particular importance, and it is necessary to think about it even before her birth, and after birth, the child should be protected by all means from possible diseases in this area.
The most common manifestations of thrush are observed in girls aged 3 and 6 yearsand then in adolescence, when puberty and rebuilding of the whole organism occurs.
In most cases, thrush in young girls occurs due to allergies. on any substance or product, and also because of the lack of intimate hygiene procedures, since many parents do not consider it necessary to pay attention to this question in such young children.
In the presence of candidiasis, urination will cause pain, with the result that the child begins to be afraid to go to the pot, associating this object with the inevitable occurrence of pain. Children with thrush become very irritable and weeping because of the constant itching. At night, because of this, sleep is disturbed.
Since the child himself cannot yet explain what exactly is bothering him and how much, parents should pay attention to such signs and take action.
Can a teenage girl have candidiasis?
Under candidal vulvovaginitis understand infectious inflammation of the mucous, or epithelial, membranes of the external genitalia and vagina.
The source of infection is yeast-like fungi belonging to the Candida genus, which are saprophytes for humans and normally “live” on the mucous membranes and skin of healthy people. In the common people this disease is also called "thrush".
Causes and forms
In girls 12-17 years old, quite often in a smear, the corresponding fungi are found.
Most of the causes of this disease can be in adolescents, namely:
- endocrinopathies (diabetes mellitus, pathology of the thyroid gland), which lead to a decrease in the body's resistance to viruses, fungi and bacteria,
- mechanical factors (first sexual intercourse, during which the microflora of the partner enters the girl's body, vaginal injuries, wearing synthetic linen),
- treatment of somatic pathology (long-term antibiotic therapy disrupts the normal biocenosis of the vagina, the use of corticosteroids or chemotherapy drugs),
- dysbiosis in the intestines, some allergic diseases.
In accordance with the course of the disease in children, such forms of genital candidiasis are distinguished:
- Acute form, when the symptoms of the disease are no more than 2 months.
- Chronic form is characterized by the presence of sluggish symptoms, the duration of which exceeds 6 months.
- Candidate status is set on the basis of the absence of an increase in the number of fungal colonies during six consecutive bacteriological cultures of vaginal discharge, the intervals between which were 7 days.
- Recurrent form. During the year, at least 4 episodes of candidiasis are recorded, which alternate with periods of hidden candidacy.
- Complicated, or persistent, form. Clinical manifestations of the disease bother the patient constantly and decrease somewhat after specific therapy.
Symptoms and signs of the disease
The main symptoms of thrush in adolescent girls are manifested in a burning sensation at the time of urination and severe itching of the external genitalia and perineum. Manifestations of itching can be continuous, and aggravated after taking a bath with hot water, using pads with a hygienic purpose and tight underwear made of synthetics.
Pain and burning sensation during urination in young children can cause fear and subsequent acute urinary retention. Frequent and severe itching can lead to sleep inversion and neurotic reactions, and in adolescents having sex, this symptom can create the appearance of negative attitudes regarding sex.
When conducting a gynecological examination, the doctor reveals a bright hyperemia (redness), swelling of the external organs of the urogenital tract and vagina. Discharge from the cavity of the vagina are cheesy or creamy in nature, as a rule, not abundant and have a sour dull smell. Much less often the vaginal discharge has a watery structure. Pseudomembranous form of genital candidiasis is more common in children.
Also in the area of the vestibule and the cavity of the vagina between the folds of the labia minora small and thin areas of white-gray tint are found, which are easily removed. In some cases, on the skin of the perineum, the inner surface of the thighs, maceration, edema and traces of scratching are noted, erosive surfaces appear, which can later become infected with bacteria.
Thrush in a teenager (girl) can have a chronic course and is characterized by less pronounced swelling and redness of the mucous membranes, few patches of raids. In girls who have reached puberty, vulvovaginal symptoms of candidal nature may appear before the start of the next menstrual period and subside during menstruation.
In addition, the chronic form often reveals cracks or infiltration of the labia minora, the foreskin of the clitoris, around the anus. With a long course of the disease, the skin folds become coarse, acquire luster, the mucous membranes become thinner and take on a brownish color.
In addition to the defeat of the genitals, candidal lesions of the intestine, oral cavity and tonsils can be detected.
Medicines and medical methods
Despite the large range of pharmacological drugs, the frequency of detection and recurrence of genital candidiasis is not reduced. Therefore, the question arises: how to treat thrush in a girl in adolescence. The selected therapy should have an integrated approach and affect not only the pathogen itself, but also its possible reservoirs.
Among the local drugs that have a detrimental effect on the fungi of the genus Candida, distinguish candles with polyene antimycotics (Levorin, Nystatin, Natamycin) and the azole series (for example, Clotrimazole). They must be inserted into the vagina (as a rule, this procedure is performed by a nurse or pediatric gynecologist), which must be irrigated with an antiseptic solution with a catheter. To do this, use a solution of boric acid or baking soda, miramistinovy solution and many others.
The course of treatment with natamycin and clotrimazole candles is 6 days, with Nystatin or Levorin 10 days. Recently, the drug of choice are vaginal suppositories with econazole in the composition, which are administered over three days.
For the eradication of fungi, in addition to local therapy, it is necessary to use in treatment both oral antimycotics (Itraconazole, Ketoconazole or Fluconazole), which sanitize the large intestine, preventing the development of relapses.
Mandatory in the treatment of candidiasis is bacteriological culture with the determination of the sensitivity of the pathogen to antimycotic drugs. After the removal of acute manifestations, it is necessary to proceed to the treatment of background pathology, which led to the development of vulvovaginitis. For the prevention of relapse, various immunomodulators should be used (Immunal, Gepon, etc.).
How to treat thrush folk remedies?
Treatment of thrush in adolescent girls folk remedies is possible only in combination with pharmacological preparations.
The most commonly used douching with different antiseptic solutions:
- Herbal infusion of chamomile or sage has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect, in addition, when syringing, the vagina is cleansed of cheesy secretions that contain a large number of fungi. To prepare the solution, the dried grass is poured with water, brought to a temperature of 50 C, and infused for two to three hours. The procedure is performed using a special rubber pear with a soft tip twice a day, the solution should be equal to the temperature of the human body. The duration of therapy is 7-10 days.
- Apply and soda solution. For this, a teaspoon of baking soda is dissolved in one liter of water. Technique perform douching similar to the above.
- Anti-inflammatory effect have applications with essential oils. To do this, a gauze pad moistened with base oil and an ether extract is gently inserted into the vagina and left for several hours or overnight. As base oils, sea buckthorn, milk thistle and calendula oil are used. Essential extracts are oils from lavender, coconut milk, tea tree, which in a volume of 3-4 drops are added to the base. The course of such treatment lasts an average of 2 weeks.
- One of the ancient methods of treating thrush is the use of tampons with black cumin oil for the night. In a 1: 1 ratio, it is diluted with olive oil.
Thus, this article fully discloses information as to whether genital candidiasis can be in children and adolescents, what are its causes and clinical manifestations, includes information about the rational pharmacotherapy of the disease and folk treatment methods.
The main reason why the fungus becomes pathogenic is attached to the mucous membrane and begins to develop the cells of the epidermis - weakening of local and general immunity (due to age, as a result of various diseases, injuries and hormonal maturation).
Common factors that can weaken the immune system and cause the appearance of thrush in girls of any age can be:
Acute and chronic pathologies (including oncology).
Endocrinopathy (diabetes mellitus, thyroid hypofunction).
Metabolic disorders (lack of trace elements, vitamins, hormonal imbalance).
Treatment with glucocorticosteroids, antibiotics, cytotoxic drugs.
Congenital immunodeficiency (Bruton syndrome, West, HIV infection, etc.).
In young girls from a year to 4–5 years of age, thrush is most often (in addition to the factors mentioned above) associated with:
- lack of hygienic skills (habit of itching, removing underwear, touching mucous membranes with dirty hands, dragging dirty hands, toys, etc. into your mouth),
- allergic to food (citrus), hygiene and care products (soap, powder, toothpaste),
- helminthic invasion (enterobiosis) and intestinal dysbiosis,
- skin damage, diaper rash, mucous membrane injuries, teething,
- direct contact with the carrier of the fungus (for example, with the mother, the patient with candidiasis).
In older girls (5 to 11 years), the causes of infection are:
- chronic diseases of ENT organs,
- hypovitaminosis and anemia,
Causes of thrush in adolescent girls aged 12 to 16 years:
Hormonal restructuring of the body (the beginning of menstruation, puberty).
Violations of personal hygiene (wearing close, synthetic linen and clothing, the use of aggressive means for washing, flavored pads).
Early sex life.
Click on the photo to enlarge
Symptoms of thrush in girls of different localization
Symptoms of thrush in girls are no different from the manifestations in adult women, they depend on the degree of the disease - at first it is almost imperceptible, with the development of the process, its symptoms become more pronounced, cause significant discomfort and begin to seriously disturb the child.
Symptoms of thrush in the mouth
External symptoms of oral candidiasis
Fungus in the oral cavity appears more often in girls after a year to 4–5 years (25%), while immune protection is formed, and hygienic habits are not sufficiently vaccinated and children often drag dirty hands and objects into their mouths. For adult women, this form of the disease is rare, it can appear if the body is severely weakened, and the oral mucosa is damaged (1-3% of cases).
Thrush in girls mouth:
- a slight whitish coating on the tongue and gums quickly turns into numerous islets, grains and films of coagulated milk throughout the mucosa,
- at the beginning of the process, it is easy to remove plaque from the surface with a gauze pad soaked in water, it becomes more difficult to separate it later,
- under a thick, cheesy bloom, a reddened mucous and bleeding sores are found,
- at the same time, the tongue (glossitis) and the red border of the lips (cheilitis) are involved in the process.
The brighter the symptoms of thrush, the more pronounced the burning and pain when sucking (in children under one year old), chewing and swallowing food. Girls become capricious, refuse to eat, quickly lose weight.
Candida skin and nails
External symptoms of candidiasis of the nails and skin of the feet
Skin candidiasis usually appears in girls from a year to 5 years old, for older children (from 5 years old), adolescents and adult women is a rare disease, although the symptoms completely coincide:
- foci are usually located in the inguinal-femoral, interdigital, axillary folds of the skin, on the skin and nails of the feet and hands,
- skin is red, there are multiple eruptions on the surface in the form of small bubbles with purulent contents, bumps, cracks, peeling, necrotic ulcers, sometimes inflammation of the subcutaneous capillaries joins,
- in the lesions there is a shiny, glossy surface, brownish-gray patches of fungus are clearly visible,
- accompanied by itching, burning, soreness of the lesions, deformities and clouding of the nail plates.
Candidiasis of the skin can spread to the mucous eyes (conjunctivitis) and proceeds against the background of redness, itching, tearing, eyelid swelling.
Thrush urinary system
A common disease in girls from 2 to 16 years (25% of cases) and in adult women (80–85% of cases of pathology), there are no characteristic differences in symptoms in children and adults:
Itching, burning, swelling and redness of the mucous membranes, anus and skin around the genitals.
Whitish or yellowish bloom, the allocation of cheesy flakes.
Frequent, painful urination.
Typical onset of thrush in girls is vulvovaginal candidiasis (the mucosa of the labia majora and vagina is infected), turning the process into chronic entails damage to the urethra (urethritis), bladder (cystitis), and impaired renal filtration.
Candidiasis of internal organs
The disease is quite rare for both children and adults (1–4%). This form is a consequence of serious immunity disorders:
- the fungus progresses and spreads through the organs of digestion, respiration, affects the brain, heart valves, kidneys, liver, etc.,
- accompanied by symptoms of diseases of the system, for example, with intestinal candidiasis in a child, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite.
Прогноз зависит от иммунитета, но у маленьких детей (от года до 5 лет) обычно заканчивается летальным исходом.
Методы и средства лечения
Молочницу у девочек можно вылечить полностью.
- в большинстве случаев (80%) назначают местные и наружные средства,
- extremely rarely, only in severe forms of candidiasis (systemic disease, several foci), use pills or injections and vaginal suppositories.
In adult women, any therapy of the fungus, even in the mildest form, begins with the appointment of pills, vaginal suppositories, and then other means.
What remedies treat thrush in girls:
The mucous membranes and skin are prepared for applying the medicinal product, treating, rinsing, washing with soda solution (1 tsp. Per liter of warm water), chamomile decoction (5 tsp. Per liter of boiling water), carefully removing the fungus plaque.
External products (applied to clean and dry mucous membranes and skin): Sodium tetraborate, Castellani solution (1: 1 with water), Brilliant green, Pimafucine cream, Candide spray, Clotrimazole ointment, Candibene ointment.
For oral administration: Diflucan tablets, Nystatin, Amphoglucamine, Flucytosine, Amphotericin B. The attending physician calculates the dosage based on the weight of the child or teenager.
Vaginal suppositories: Nystatin, Terzhinan, Pimafutsin.
On average, treatment of thrush in girls takes 12–15 days, in exceptional cases it may take a year (in the treatment of severe, chronic forms).
Treatment of systemic candidiasis is carried out in an infectious or specialized hospital (for example, in oncology), under the supervision of the attending physician. The main methods of therapy - the introduction of antifungal drugs drip and intravenous (Amphotericin B).
The prognosis for recovery from thrush in girls from one year to 16 years is very good, the disease is faster and easier to fully cure in 99%, chronic forms (unlike adults) are much less common.
Acute thrush in girls is treated for 12–15 days, sometimes longer (from 4 months to a year) if the process has assumed a chronic form and is often repeated.
The systemic process is a rare form of candidiasis. It develops on the background of severe pathologies and disorders (oncopathology, transplantation, HIV infection), its prognosis completely depends on the state of immunity (it ends with a fatal outcome in 1–2% of seriously ill children from one year to 5 years).
Author of the article: Victoria Stoyanova, 2nd category physician, head of laboratory at the diagnostic and treatment center (2015–2016).
Causes of thrush in little girls and in adolescence
In humans, yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida are always present in low concentrations. A healthy immune system is able to control their population and prevent large-scale reproduction of pathogenic microflora. But due to the fact that the modern environmental conditions in which most people live, leave much to be desired, the immunity of many is weakened.
Abuse of antibacterial therapy also contributes to the thrush - antibiotic thrush, which leads to an imbalance of the intestinal microflora and the reproduction of pathogens.
Children and adolescents suffer from pathologies of the immune system more often than adults. The pathogenic microflora, to which the Candida fungus belongs, in such conditions, gets the most comfortable conditions for uncontrolled reproduction and development of thrush.
The main causes of candidiasis in children of different ages include:
- fungal infection when passing through the birth canal,
- violations of the acid-base balance in the girl's vagina,
- weakened immunity
- long-term drug therapy,
- intestinal dysbiosis,
- neglect of standards of hygiene of the genitals,
- hormonal imbalance of puberty,
- early onset of sexual activity.
At each age, different causes of the occurrence of the disease prevail, and in some cases they appear in a complex.
Candidiasis in young children
On the first day after birth, the genitals of the newborn girl are sterile, but by the fifth day the conditionally pathogenic microflora already populates the mucous membranes. The reaction of the vagina is either neutral or alkaline - favorable for the development of various microorganisms. The most likely way to infect thrush in newborn girls is to enter the fungus as it passes through the birth canal of a mother with candidiasis.. In this case, the development of the disease is possible in various forms - oral, intestinal and vaginal.
Since the internal environment of the vagina is populated by lactobacilli, which provide its protective acidic environment, only by the age of 10 years, the threat of vaginal candidiasis remains.
Also, thrush in very young girls can occur against the background of allergies, the development of which is due to a weak immune system. At the age of 1-5 years in the diet of children begin to appear new, unusual products that contribute to the occurrence of intestinal dysbiosis. Under these conditions, the risk of intestinal candidiasis in a child repeatedly increases.
Another factor provoking the development of candidiasis, is the neglect of the mother norms of hygiene of the genitals of the newborn or little girl. As a result, against the background of irritation and dermatitis, the fungus begins to multiply.
Candidiasis in adolescents
In the period from 10 years to the beginning of puberty (usually it is 12 or 13 years) hormonal changes affecting the entire endocrine system begin in the girl's body. Under the influence of an excess or lack of sex hormones, the vaginal microflora changes, which is an additional risk of developing candidiasis. For example, an insufficient concentration of estrogen can lead to a decrease in the number of lactobacilli and a decrease in the acidity of the vagina, which stimulates the reproduction of candidates.
Thrush in girls from the age of 12 can be triggered by the onset of the first menstruation, during which increased attention should be paid to intimate hygiene. The average age of menarche (first menstruation) is 12-14 years, and the risk of candidiasis during this period is very high. This is also due to the beginning of the use of sanitary pads and tampons.
Mom must explain to her daughter that the key to cleanliness and the absence of inflammation is the frequent change of pads and tampons: no less than 1 time in 2-4 hours, depending on the amount of menstrual flow. And when using daily hygiene products - every 12 hours of wearing.
Thrush in adolescent girls can occur by penetrating the fungus into the vagina during unprotected intercourse. Early sexual debut, at the age of under 17, significantly increases the risk of candidiasis and other sexually transmitted diseases.
To the causes of thrush, you can add the wearing of synthetic underwear, not giving the skin an intimate area to breathe, and is a breeding ground for the development of pathogenic microorganisms. As a rule, attractive underwear is made of artificial fabrics that give the effect of a greenhouse in the area of the external genital organs. The older the girl, the more extensive the list of reasons for which there is a thrush.
How to treat thrush in girls
Treatment of thrush in girls should be carried out immediately, immediately after the detection of symptoms and diagnosis by a doctor. Only a pediatrician or pediatric gynecologist can make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe adequate treatment.
Usually combined methods of local and systemic therapy - treatment of the genital organs with drugs and oral administration of antifungal tablets, as well as correction of the immune system and intestinal microflora. In addition, homeopathic medicines or herbs are prescribed as an auxiliary effect.
Cure thrush in a little girl up to 2-3 years can be in the following ways:
- washing and douching decoction of medicinal herbs (chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort, sage, marigold) or furatsilina solution,
- local application to the genitals antifungal drugs in the form of ointments (Clotrimazole, Miconazole),
- immunostimulating therapy,
- correction of intestinal microflora.
At this age, the use of drugs containing fluconazole is contraindicated, and they are used only in severe cases.
After 4 years, the ingestion of antifungal agents such as Nystatin and Fluconazole is added to the above methods.
In adolescence, especially after the onset of sexual activity, candidiasis can be cured with the additional use of vaginal suppositories containing anti-fungal medications:
It should be remembered that with insufficient or incomplete course of treatment, as well as in its absence, the disease becomes chronic, which causes irreparable harm to the health of the future woman.
Candidiasis in childhood and adolescence: the consequences
Untreated thrush in a teenage girl becomes chronic with concurrent complications.. Fungal infection in the body leads to the development of many comorbidities, as it causes the appearance of new inflammatory foci. Candidiasis in a girl in the future may provoke:
- infertility due to the appearance of adhesions in the fallopian tubes,
- development of inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs (cervicitis),
- diseases of the urinary system (cystitis, urethritis),
- menstrual disorders,
- functional disorders in the gastrointestinal tract and the appearance of pathologies of its organs.
Thus, thrush in a little girl or adolescent can lead to serious health problems in the reproductive system.
At the reception at the gynecologist
If a mother has a suspicion of thrush in a teen-girl, then she should immediately take her daughter to an appointment with a pediatric gynecologist. At the reception, the doctor usually talks about the need to comply with the rules of intimate hygiene of the genital organs, as well as methods of diagnosis and treatment of candidiasis. To clarify the diagnosis, the doctor performs the following procedures:
- visual inspection of the genitals
- smear on the vaginal microflora,
Prior to the visit to the specialist, the importance of regular visits to the gynecologist for the timely detection of diseases of the female genital organs, the neglect of which treatment can lead to infertility, must be explained to the girl.
Causes of the disease at different ages
In newborns and children up to a year
A mother can infect her unborn child with candidiasis during pregnancy. At this age, thrush often occurs in the oral cavity. The provoking factors can be prematurity of the baby, teething period, the child being breastfed, rickets, anemia.
At the baby are observed:
- cheesy plaque on the tongue, glands, gums,
- swelling of mucous membranes,
- the presence of "jam" in the corners of the lips,
- poor sleep, loss of appetite, constant crying,
- frequent regurgitation
- loose stools, bloating.
The manifestation of symptoms of the disease in the groin (itching, cheesy vaginal discharge), the appearance of a rash on the skin, especially in the area of the buttocks.
Girls at 2-3 years old
Are at risk of disease in case of insufficient compliance with the rules of intimate hygiene or under the influence of food allergens. At the age of 5 years and older, the reasons may be:
- weakened immunity caused by frequent infectious diseases,
- parasite infection
- intestinal dysbiosis,
- neglect of the rules of hygiene genitals.
The period when the girl turns 10-12 years old is the time of onset of puberty, which is characterized by hormonal alteration of the whole organism. Changes affect the vaginal microflora, thereby causing an increased risk of candidiasis. Most girls at the age of 12-13 start their periods, which, with weakened immunity, can also become a provoking impetus.
Among the causes of thrush in adolescent girls can be identified:
- endocrine disorders (such as diabetes)
- the use of gaskets with aromatic inserts,
- deficiency of minerals (zinc, iron, magnesium),
- disruption of the blood circulation system,
- period after antibiotics,
- wearing close synthetic underwear,
- early onset of sexual activity.
Children with impaired carbohydrate metabolism (diabetes, obesity) are most at risk. Not only antibiotics, but also cytostatics, corticosteroids and some other groups of drugs can trigger the intensity of the disease.
Thrush in adolescent girls is about the same as in adult women. Her symptoms are:
- itching and burning in the vagina,
- strong discharge of a cheesy character with an unpleasant smell,
- swelling of the labia,
- pain when urinating.
If untreated, Candida mushrooms can affect internal organs. Subsequently, it threatens the occurrence of adhesions, which lead to infertility. Manifestations also have a negative impact on the psychological state of the girl, causing her fears for her health.
Other negative effects include:
- cervical erosion,
- inflammation of the ovaries, kidneys and bladder,
- sexual desire disorder,
- increased risk of developing malignant tumors of the genital organs.
The main ways of infection with thrush are household (through dishes, towels, household items) and food (unwashed vegetables, fruits). Newborns can become infected during childbirth when passing through an infected birth canal.
In adolescent girls, thrush should be distinguished from venereal diseases that have similar symptoms. Candida mushrooms can also be sexually transmitted, but this infection is not the main one.
How to treat candidiasis in girls?
Treatment of thrush in girls involves the appointment of the following groups of drugs:
- topical treatment (anti-candidal ointments and creams),
- systemic drugs, often prescribed to girls with severe symptoms or re-infection,
- means for correcting the natural microflora of the vagina,
- drugs to strengthen the immune system.
Local therapy involves the use of antifungal and antiseptic agents. Consider using some of them.
The drug with the same active substance is produced in the form of tablets, creams and a liquid solution. The cream is used externally, applying it on the affected skin. Perhaps vaginal application, in this case using the applicator. The solution irrigates the skin (for example, inside the mouth).
The drug tablets are injected into the vagina, pre-moistened with water. Prolonged use of the product may cause allergic reactions, such as itching, redness and burning of the skin, so it is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity to the active components of the product.
This cream can be recommended for the treatment of candidiasis to girls at any age, including newborns. Its main active ingredient is natamycin. It effectively removes the main symptoms of the disease - itching, swelling, burning in the genital area, as well as pain and discomfort during urination.
Pimafucin is well tolerated and very rarely causes side effects. It has no contraindications, except for individual sensitivity to the active substance.
Candles Hexicon D
How acceptable is it to use candles for thrush for girls? Especially for little patients, Hexicon D. candles were developed. The use of the drug provides several advantages:
- the presence of chlorhexidine in the composition, which effectively eliminates pathogenic bacteria,
- preservation of beneficial microflora,
- the optimal size of the candle, taking into account the characteristics of pediatric anatomy,
- lack of antibiotics in the composition,
- quick action in the lesion.
The use of chlorhexedin allows you to overcome the burning sensation and pain, to eliminate unpleasant discharge. Many parents are afraid to introduce candles to very young girls. However, these concerns have no basis, since the size of the candle is smaller than the diameter of the hymen. Before the introduction, a certain psychological preparation of the patient is necessary.
It is necessary to introduce a candle in a prone position, the girl's legs should be slightly bent at the knees. To make the candle more plastic, and it was easier to inject, you need to hold it indoors at room temperature before the procedure.
The drug is well tolerated, does not cause discomfort and pain when administered.
These drugs in the form of tablets have a quick and effective effect. Their use allows you to block the growth and division of fungal cells. Diflucan, Flucostat, Mikoflukan, Diflazon belong to the most famous means.
The usual dosage is 100-150 ml per day and is taken once. In parallel, you can use candles and ointments. Drugs can cause some side effects, namely:
- nausea, vomiting, bloating,
- bowel disorders
- headache and dizzy spells,
- skin rashes,
- loss of appetite.
Despite the effectiveness of drugs, they can be used only after consultation with the doctor, who will determine the duration of treatment and select the optimal dosage. At the same time take into account the weight of the girl and her age.
These drugs have not only a healing effect, but also provide the body with live bacteria, the balance of which can be disturbed under the influence of pathogenic fungi. These funds are prescribed in complex therapy. The most popular are:
- Atsilakt - acidophilic lactobacilli,
- Florin Forte - can be used at any age, including chest
- Bifikol - bifidobacteria, shown to children from 2 years,
- Linex - prescribed for chronic forms of the disease in remission.
Throughout the treatment period, immunomodulatory agents are used to enhance the body's defenses.
The use of sedentary baths is a subsidiary treatment. They are especially useful in the presence of itching and burning. In the prepared water add soda, decoction of chamomile, essential oils. The residence time in the bath is 15-20 minutes with the constant addition of warm water. Baths are taken twice a day for 10 days.
The organization of proper nutrition is regarded as a necessary condition for getting rid of the disease. Infection with fungi occurs not only with reduced immunity, but also with errors in the diet. Compliance with a special diet is necessary not only during treatment, but also within a few weeks after its completion.
The menu should include products that hinder the development of Candida mushrooms:
- meat and fish low-fat varieties,
- natural dairy products,
- sauerkraut and sea kale
- berries of a cowberry, cranberry, currant,
- teas based on herbal decoctions, wild rose, rowan berries.
It is recommended to include such seasonings as garlic, bay leaf, cloves, and black pepper in ready meals. It is better to bake and steam dishes.
Nuts, mushroom dishes, blue cheeses, spicy seasonings and sauces, pickles, pickles, smoked products, strong coffee and tea should be excluded from the diet. The main product that should not be in the diet for the period of treatment from thrush is bakery products made from yeast dough. Kvass and sweet carbonated drinks are harmful.
Thrush in girls is a mycosis of the vaginal mucosa, the causative agent of which is a fungus of the genus Candida. In young girls, fungi are almost always present on the vaginal mucosa, but the symptoms of the disease are absent. Infection is possible even in early childhood. These microorganisms belong to the normal microflora.
When their number increases, signs of inflammation are observed. The process involves the vaginal mucosa and the vulva. A child is infected in a variety of ways. Girls may first come into contact with fungi while passing through the birth canal of the mother. Thrush in girls is due to a decrease in body resistance.
The following risk factors for the development of thrush in childhood and adolescence are distinguished:
- lack of hygiene skills
- allergic reactions
- helminthic invasions,
- vaginal dysbacteriosis,
- presence of foci of chronic inflammation,
- taking hormonal drugs
- lack of estrogen
- fetal infection,
- circulatory disorder,
- lack of vitamins and minerals
- frequent use of certain drugs (antibiotics, cytostatics, glucocorticoids).
Causes of vaginal candidiasis may include wearing synthetic underwear, neglect of personal hygiene, excessive sweating, the use of poor-quality hygiene products.Synthetics poorly absorb moisture, and a moist environment in combination with high air temperature is the optimal environment for fungi.
Many teenage girls smoke and drink alcohol. All this helps to reduce immunity and the development of dysbiosis. Reducing the proportion of lactobacilli helps to activate fungi. The development of candidiasis in adolescents contributes to stress, alimentary obesity, the predominance in the diet of carbohydrate foods (sweets, bakery products), hypodynamia, the use of deodorizing tampons.
In a teenage girl, the symptoms of the disease are not always pronounced. The disease proceeds as a vulvovaginitis. Vagina, labia, clitoris is affected. Thrush is manifested by the following symptoms:
- itching in the vagina,
- burning sensation
- swelling of the skin and mucous membranes,
- discharge from the genital organs of a cheesy secret,
- white bloom on the genitals,
- dysuric phenomena (stranguria).
In adolescents, sexually active, possible discomfort during sexual intercourse. Less common is a symptom such as a rash. The most frequent manifestation of candidiasis in a girl is atypical discharge. In appearance, these secretions look like sour milk. They may have a sour smell. A common complaint of patients is itching.
It is aggravated by sitting and at night. Often this becomes a cause of sleep disturbance. On examination, a gray or white patina is found on the vaginal wall and is easily removed. Under the bloom is reddened mucous. Often the process involves the urethral mucosa. Developed candidal urethritis.
This is manifested by pain in the removal of urine. In the absence of proper treatment, the disease becomes chronic. In this case, complaints may be minor. Exacerbations most often occur before menstruation. The general condition does not always suffer. The temperature of the majority of sick girls does not increase.
Symptoms of thrush in adolescent girls
Most often, candidiasis in girls occurs in the form of vulvovaginitis, affecting the threshold of the vagina, its mucous and vulva. Manifestations of the disease in adolescents are the same as in adults. These include:
- severe itching and burning on the vulva,
- swelling and swelling of the mucous membranes,
- redness of the external genitalia,
- white cheesy discharge,
- the appearance of white bloom on the genitals,
- with the involvement of neighboring organs in the process - pain during urination.
The first sign of the disease is itching, which in advanced cases may increase when walking. Because of this unpleasant symptom, girls often have sleep disorders. On examination, edema and hyperemia of the external genital organs are found with areas of gray-white plaque, which is easily removed. After that, under the curd layer, reddened areas open, which in some patients bleed.
The initial manifestations of the disease in the form of local lesions of the mucous membranes in the future may expand in connection with the spread of infection through the bloodstream.
Chronic stages of the disease are less intense hyperemia, less prevalent lesion foci. If menstruation is already present in a non-treated girl, then the intensification of such symptoms occurs before each of them.
Chronic forms are characterized by a change in the appearance of the external genital organs - the skin on them and the mucous membranes become brown in color, the large and small lips become wrinkled. In addition to lesions of the genitalia, candidiasis of the intestines, candidal stomatitis and tonsillitis are often found in such patients.
Treatment of thrush in adolescent girls
Simple at first glance, the disease should be treated only in accordance with the recommendations of the doctor. By self-healing, the problem can be pushed deep inside, which could later have the most detrimental consequences. With proper treatment, all symptoms of the disease disappear in a matter of days, but in the future it is important not to miss relapses and complications. To do this, you should exclude all factors due to which there was a thrush. There are several approaches to the treatment of adolescents.
In most cases, girls are treated with topical antifungal agents and antiseptics. For this purpose, suppositories are prescribed containing levorin, natamycin, clotrimazole.
Ointments containing these drugs, can also be applied in the form of applications, putting them on a napkin and applying to the affected areas.
The therapeutic baths and the washing of mucous membranes with baking soda or chamomile solutions have a good healing effect.
The advantages of local treatment are the absence of side effects, the rapid elimination of symptoms, if necessary, the possibility of increasing the concentration of the drug.
In the most severe cases with a relapsing course of the disease, as well as in the presence of several lesions, the following types of antifungal drugs can be administered orally:
Nizoral, depending on body weight, 1/2 tablets 1-2 times a day,
- Diflucan - per day, 3-8 mg per 1 kg of weight,
- Amfogyukamin - 200 000 IU twice a day by mouth for 3-4 weeks.
These funds require careful use, as they can cause toxic or allergic reactions, as well as side effects.
Since the growth spurt of fungal flora is associated with a decrease in immunity, to combat it, it is necessary to increase immunity. Therefore, together with the main treatment for this purpose, immunocorrective therapy is prescribed for a period of at least 4 weeks. The following remedies are usually recommended:
- Rhodiola rosea and eleutherococcus preparations, which are ingested 30 drops 2-3 times a day,
- ointments containing solcoseryl and vitamin A.
Thrush in babies
What features increase the risk of developing vulvitis in girls? In general, children from three to seven years are subject to the inflammatory process, which directly depends on the state of the immune and endocrine systems, as well as Anatomical and physiological features of the structure of the genitals in childhood:
not sufficiently pronounced folding of the mucous membranes of the genital tract,
- low levels of sex hormones in the blood and tissues (in particular, estrogen),
- the thinning and slow processes of renewal in the epithelial cells of the mucous membrane of the genital tract,
- neutral or alkaline vaginal environment,
- insufficient closure of the labia in the posterior regions,
- prevalence in the vagina coccal flora,
- insufficiently "mature" local immunity.
Due to the minimal activity of the ovaries and the absence of sex hormones, there is virtually no protective mechanism such as desquamation and destruction of the surface cells of the vaginal mucosa.
In addition, the low level of protective factors (interferon and others) in the vaginal secretion of young girls, due to the immaturity of the immune system, is not enough.
It is also bad that in half of the little patients the inflammatory process returns again and again, due to the presence of a chronic source of infection in the body.
The most common causative agents of vulvovaginitis in girls are: Enterococcus spp., E.colli, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Proteus mirabilis, Streptococcus B, Staphylococcus aureus, etc.
Although the thrush of a girl under the age of 9 is more likely an exception to the rule than the rule, today we will talk about her, highlighting the main issues of the clinic, discuss its differences from other infections, approaches to treatment.
Candidiasis of the genitals in girls
A girl's thrush develops against the background of a strong stress factor (psychological stress, illness), as well as when personal hygiene rules are violated, especially in summer, when the genitals are excessively irritated while swimming in water bodies, playing in a sandbox.
Standard manifestations of any vulvitis in girls:
- Redness of the vulva and the vestibule of the vagina, with frequent distribution of hyperemia on the labia majora.
- Swelling of the labia minora, hymen.
- Discharge from the genital tract.
- Itching, burning, especially during urination.
Symptoms of thrush, characterized mainly for her
Vulvovaginal candidiasis is characterized by the accumulation of a large amount of discharge between the small and large labia and under the foreskin of the clitoris, a yellowish sticky coating on the mucous membrane.
Candida rash can be localized on the labia majora, pubis, inguinal folds. It looks like this - small dotted elements are located on the reddened skin with a clearly defined border. Often, such a picture is perceived as diaper dermatitis with the subsequent appointment of the wrong treatment.
Thrush in girls, as in adult women, can occur as an acute episode, or acquire a chronic course (more than 4 episodes during the year), which largely depends on the state of immunity.
And now, let me remind you once again that candida is not the most frequent causative agent of genital infections in young girls, so one should not, seeing the picture described, proceed to self-treatment with antifungal drugs. Under the mask of thrush any other infection can hide, so a trip to the gynecologist is required.
Separately, it is necessary to dwell on the situation when the “diaper dermatitis” does not respond to the baby.
If the treatment of symptoms similar to the manifestations of diaper dermatitis has no effect on therapy for three days, the child should be shown to the gynecologist or dermatologist.
Where else can candida live?
In addition to the genital organs, the causative agent of candidiasis can cause inflammatory processes in the skin, oral mucosa. By the way, it is the oral form of candidiasis that occurs most often among young girls (and even boys).
When the skin form in places with high humidity (groin, axillary areas, interdigital and interdigital folds) appear bright red spots, covered with raids, the areas have a specific sourish odor.
Oral candidiasis occurs in children with improper care of the oral cavity against the background of an existing decrease in immunity or somatic diseases, especially those requiring the administration of potent drugs (antibiotics, hormones).
The inflammatory process manifests itself in different ways, depending on the general condition of the child. The classic course is reddening and swelling of the mucous tongue, cheeks, and soft palate with the appearance of white cheesy raids on it (mucosa).
The raids are poorly removed, leaving behind bleeding areas. Moreover, in children, common symptoms may prevail over local ones, i.e. in the first place is a rise in temperature, lethargy, refusal to eat, which a mother can associate with a viral infection or teeth.
Treatment of candidiasis in girls
For systemic treatment in the treatment of candidiasis in children have to resort only in rare cases. The advantage is given to local drugs. Given the insecurity of the growing body, when choosing antifungal drugs, they have a number of requirements:
- High efficiency.
- Minimal adverse reactions.
- Ease of use.
- And of course - affordability.
How to treat candidiasis in girls? There are a number of recommendations, the observance of which will not only defeat the manifestation, but also minimizes the risk of relapse.
Treatment of thrush in a girl consists of the following steps:
- Personal hygiene.
- Local antifungal therapy.
- Diet therapy with a decrease in the amount of easily digestible carbohydrates, irritants (pickles, pickles, spices, concentrated meat broths), enriching the diet with fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Treatment of associated acute and chronic diseases.
- Increase the body's defenses (vitamins, immunomodulators and immunostimulants).
- Restoration of normal intestinal microflora and stomach.
Before applying the drug, it is necessary to remove plaque and excretions by washing the external genitalia with clean water, one of the prepared medicinal solutions (Cytel, Chlorhexidine, Malavit drops) or home-made infusion of herbs or soda solution (soda and iodine).
After the toilet of the genital organs, the drug is applied to the vulva, according to the instructions, from 1 to 4 times a day for 7-10 days. If a girl has four or more episodes of laboratory-confirmed thrush during a year, she should be shown to narrow specialists (allergist, immunologist, gastroenterologist) and examined in more detail.
She graduated from the Belarusian State Medical University. She works as an obstetrician-gynecologist at the 4th female consultation center of the “1st GKB” of Minsk. Specializes in reproductive health, pediatric and adolescent gynecology.